CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
An air freshener is a product designed to mask or remove unpleasant room odors, (Umbach, 1991). These products typically deliver fragrance and other odor counteractants into the air. They do so through a variety of product formats, including aerosols, candles, potpourri and gels. By the late 1990s, sales of air fresheners in the United States had exceeded several hundred million dollars per year. One of the most successful new products are Glade Plug-Ins, which use heat generated by electric current to vaporize air-freshening ingredients. (Umbach, 1991)
Air fresheners are commonplace in many homes, as a way of covering up cooking odors, musty smells, dank air and bathroom odors, (William Ramsay, 2004). In recent times, many commercially made air fresheners have relied on use of chemicals and artificial scents, as well as using electricity and materials such as plastics and metals to create complicated air fresheners that create rather strong odors in the home environment, (William Ramsay, 2004). They are not generally a sustainable product and there are many excellent alternatives to such air fresheners.
1.2 SCOPE OF THE STUDY
The study will cover the qualitative and quantitative analysis that is involved in the production of liquid and vapourised air freshener from local raw materials that is:
1. Easy and accurate dispensing
2. Safe use and transport without risk of spillage
3. Long-term durability thanks to a tight sealing of the can and impossible of re-entry of microbial contamination during use
4. Recyclable packaging
1.3 OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
The project is aimed and designed to evaluate the production of liquid and vapourised air freshener with an attempt to show the key ingredient used in the production of liquid and vapourised air freshener. The study reveals that air freshener is a product designed to mask or remove unpleasant room odors. These products typically deliver fragrance and other odor counteractants into the air. Other objectives of these studies are stated below:
1. To provide liquid and vapourised air freshener formulation that is easy to manufacture and does not require high temperature casting.
2. It is provide liquid and vapourised air freshener formulation that includes greater than 10% fragrance.
3. To provide liquid and vapourised air freshener that is stable and does not experience significant fragrance weeping across normal transportation temperatures of up to 30-50° C.
4. To provide liquid and vapourised air freshener that is easily dissolvable in water, and creates a clear liquid composition that is free of large particles and clumps.
Other objective, aspects and advantages of this research will be apparent to one skilled in the art in view of the following disclosure, the drawings and the appended claims.