The word ‘polytechnic, is defines as a college of people who wants to study scientific or technical subjects, especially in order to train for a practical job. It is a place where students are really confided with practical responsibilities more than theories.
In higher institution, the management of information concerning student’s affairs is a basic necessity. Managing of student information cannot be farfetched since it is a vital aspect of conducive learning on research environment.
In Uyo city Polytechnic, there are various information concerning students that requires management, such information are security affairs, library functions, accommodation, co-curriculum activities, Department records; our area of focus is on accommodation system in Uyo City Polytechnic and developing a databases system for the allocation of students accommodation is the essence of this study. The importance of accommodation has being established in the colleges and the computerization is equally important for the maximization of its benefits.
1.1 STATEMENT OF PROBLEM
In situation where resources are limited and wants are unlimited, there must be a way of rationalizing the wants among the available resources. There are so many problems associated with the present system of allocating student’s accommodation, such problems include:
- Irregularities: Inferences is vulnerable in the process, illegal space can be awarded to student based on a hidden deal. This does not give all the students equal chance.
- Duplication: Errors are being made in the process, which reduces the efficiency of the system. Such is the duplication of matriculation numbers. Someone who has left the school being given accommodation, somebody getting more than one accommodation just to mention a few.
- Time and energy wasting: A high amount of resources are expended during the operation of this system.
- Lack of proper records: proper records of previous exercises are not always being kept for inference purposes. Accommodation records (booklets) are misplaced or burnt after sometime for this reason, there is need for the development of a new system which will be of great extent in solving these problems.
1.2 AIMS/OBJECTIVE OF STUDY
The objective of these study includes:
- To design a database system for the allocation of students into the hall of residence.
- Keeping records of number of students in each hall of residence.
- Keeping record of students that are yet to return materials given to them e.g mattresses .
- Keep he records of disabled student that have been considered.
- Ensure that any registered and eligible students are allocated into the hall of residence.
Share on social media: