This paper examines the impact of training and development employees on the productivity of Obajana Cement Company. Owing to the fact that adequate attention are not always given to training and development of employees because of the belief by most organizations that it is too expensive, this study among others seek to highlight the impact of training and development of workers on the overall performance of the company. The paper brings to the notice of managers other factors that can contribute immensely to employees productivity. Data were sourced from both primary and secondary sources as questionnaires and personal interview methods were employed. From the findings made, it was discovered that despite the high cost involved in training, it benefits outweighs the costs in any organization. The paper concludes that training serve as a tool for motivation of workers thus enhancing their productivity and so, organizations should make it compulsory to train their staff to avoid obsolesce of skills.
1.1 BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY
Most organizations today do not take the training and development of human resource available to them seriously. They have failed to realize that the success and failure of any organization depends largely on the different categories of trained personnel. A good organization should have a well-designed programme for the systematic management training and development in order to enhance the transformation of policies and programmes contained in the annual budget into practical realities. Training has come to be universally accepted as a vital input to improve the output of any organization both qualitatively and quantitatively. It is the function of helping others acquire and apply knowledge, skills, ability and attitude that are necessary for the achievement of the organizational goal. Also, it is the management most vital means of achieving objectives and has been viewed as an organization’s most important investment in human resources.
Training and development can be said to be a continuous one as money spent on employees for this purpose is money well invested. Employees who have being assigned with responsibility lacks confidence with which to carry out their jobs. An employee should be helped to grow into more responsibility through systematic training and development. It is only then that he will feel confident to carry responsibility of the job. Because he believes that he knows what is expected of him on the job and because he can do it, his enthusiasm on the job increases, It is a person in that position who can think and originate ideas as to know how best to carry out the task of the job. People who are not trained tends to stick to what they are taught the first time they took over the job. They are frightened of doing the job in a different way because something might go wrong and what that risk is very vital to any organization for acquisition, creating motivation and maturing of competent labour forces.
This infects, prevents, fraction resulting from stagnation that lead to high labour turn over. It sharpens the behaviors and attitude to work of any employees. The result is improved job performance. It is against this background that an organization should enable the employees to adapt to proper training in order to bring good performance to the organization. Proper training enables employees to know more about the organization policy. It is in realization of these facts that this study which focuses on the impact of training of employees on organizational productivity is undertaken using Obajana Cement Company as a case study.
1.2 Statement of the Problem
The training, development, maintenance and utilization of actual potential number of labour process is instrumental to the success of any organization. And proper or adequate planning is a major tool to the organization effectiveness.
In the development of employees efficiency in Obajana Cement Company, the factors among others that has not allowed for optimum productivity in the company are:
- The attitude of employee to work is not impressive because of lack of training and development.
- Lack of effective communication within the organization deprives workers from knowing the training opportunities available to them.
- Top management and technical staff are not properly trained for proper productivity
1.3 OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
The main objective of this research work is to
- Ascertain the impact of training and development of employee efficiency as a means of increasing the productivity of Obajana cement company.
It is also to:
- Determine whether lack of staff training and development is responsible for poor attitude of employees to work.
- Find out whether training and development programmes are given due attention by the management of Obajna Cement Company.
1.4 RESEARCH HYPOTHESIS
The following hypothesis shall be tested to verify its validity:
Ho: Training and development has not impacted on employee efficiency in Obajana Cement Company
Hi: Training and development has impacted on employee efficiency in Obajana Cement Company.
H0 : lack of staff training is not a reason for poor attitude of employees to work
Hi: lack of staff training is a reason for poor attitude of employees to work
(iii) Ho: training Programmes are not given due attention by the management of Obajana Cement Company
Hi: Training programmes are given due attention by the management of Obajana Cement Company.
1.5 RESEARCH QUESTIONS
This study seek to provide answers to the following questions:
- Has training and development impacted on employee efficiency in Obajana cement company?
- Is lack of training and development responsible for the poor attitude of employees to work in Obajana cement company?
- Is the management of Obajana cement company giving due attention to training development programmes?
1.6 Significance of the Study
This research will be of great assistance in improving training and development of employees in the following ways:-
- It will help in highlighting some of the training needs of staffers of Obajana Cement Company.
- It will enable the employees to be aware and study the job carefully thereby reducing errors
- It is also important to any organization because when an employee is well trained he will perform better to the glory of the company.
- When employees are well trained, the image of Obajana Cement Company will be known to the people outside the company.
- Scholars will use it as an instrument for further consultation
- This work is a key ingredient to the growth of the company
- The research will also be of benefit to manager’s researchers and stakeholders as guide.
- It will also be of assistance to students of management science of higher institutions of learning, finally, the management of other cement companies will find it a valuable material they can always consult.
1.7 Scope of the Study
Due to the impossibility of studying the enhancement of training and development in all companies in Nigeria this research work covers only Obajana Cement Company. It concepts, reasons, process, need, methods evaluation and implementation needs of training and development in the company.
1.8 Limitations of the Study
In the course of this study, a number of constraints were encountered, some of them include, time factor, inadequate text books, journals and finance. Time was the major constraint as it is very difficult to combine the required work with usual academic work. Finance was another significant factor in view of the poor economic situation in the country. Finally, the present state of insecurity in the country was equally a factor.
Nevertheless, the information gathered was quite enough for generalization.
1.9 Definition of Key Terms
TRAINING: Training is an organized effort aimed at helping an employee to acquire basic required skills for efficient execution of his job for which he was hired.
DEVELOPEMNT: This deals with the activities undertaken to expose the employee to perform additional duties and assumes positions of importance in the organization hierarchy.
PERSONNEL AND HUMAN RESOURCES: it means the staff employed in the company.
TRAINEE: This is the officer that is training the employees efficiently carry out their duties.
Management: This is defined as the coordination of human and non-human resources to achieve a desired goal of an organization.
Productivity: It is the ratio between input and output in an organization.
Share on social media: